Chaumukh Temple from the West end of the Court [Satrunjaya]
Photographer: Sykes and Dwyer
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Satrunjaya from James Burgess, 'The Temples of Satrunjaya, the celebrated Jain place of pilgrimage...' by Skyes and Dwyer in 1869. Satrunjaya is an ancient Jain place of pilgrimage where it is believed that Adinatha, the first Jain Tirthankara visited several times and his disciple Pundarika obtained enlightenment. There are many hundreds of multi-spired temples on the two summits of the hill, in the town of Palitana, Gujarat. The sanctuaries are grouped in fortified enclosures or tuks, named after their founders. The Chaumukh Temple, located on the northern edge of the hill, is one of the most important temples of Satrunjaya. It was rebuilt in 1618. The square sanctuary enshrines a four faced image of Adinath of white marble in a shrine open on four sides.