Chaumukh Image of Rishabhanatha [Satrunjaya].
Photographer: Sykes and Dwyer
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Satrunjaya from James Burgess, 'The Temples of Satrunjaya, the celebrated Jain place of pilgrimage...' by Skyes and Dwyer in 1869. Satrunjaya is an ancient Jain place of pilgrimage where it is believed that Adinatha, the first Jain Tirthankara visited several times and his disciple Pundarika obtained enlightenment. There are many hundreds of multi-spired temples on the two summits of the hill, in the town of Palitana, Gujarat. The view shows a marble image of Adinatha, the first of the 24 Tirthankaras of the Jains, in the Chaumukh Temple, one of the most important temples of Satrunjaya, located on the northern edge of the hill. The Chamukh temple derives its name from the four faced diety of Adinatha that faces the four cardinal directions on the marble pedestal in the shrine. The temple was rebuilt in 1618.