Columns on the North side of the Chaumukh [Satrunjaya].
Photographer: Sykes and Dwyer
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Satrunjaya from James Burgess, 'The Temples of Satrunjaya, the celebrated Jain place of pilgrimage...' by Skyes and Dwyer in 1869. Satrunjaya is an ancient Jain place of pilgrimage where it is believed that Adinatha, the first Jain Tirthankara visited several times and his disciple Pundarika obtained enlightenment. There are many hundreds of multi-spired temples on the two summits of the hill, in the town of Palitana, Gujarat. The sanctuaries are grouped in fortified enclosures or tuks, named after their founders. The Chaumukh Temple, situated on the northern ridge of the hill, was rebuilt in 1618. The pillars have high bases and shafts carved with floral patterns; the brackets capitals are slanting downwards supporting gopis on whose head rests the abacus.