Corner tower, Dabhoi
Photographer: Burgess, James
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a corner tower of the Fort at Dabhoi in Gujarat, taken by James Burgess in 1874. Dabhoi is an ancient town that was fortified by the Solanki Rajputs from the 12th Century. The fort was built in the 13th century by the Vaghela king of Patan, or Anhilvada, following the shastric traditions described in the Vastu scriptures. The fortification consisted of four gates in each cardinal direction, shallow rectangular bastions on each of the four sides and four large corner towers, round in plan with reentrant angles. Running along the top of the walls were the battlements.
In the 'Report on the Antiquities of Kathiawad and Kachh of 1874-75', Burgess wrote, "The curtain walls had six towers or bastions between the central gates and the corner towers, which were generally round in plan with re-entrant angles, or with a series of faces and angles lying in a circle, ad crowned by a chevalier bastion, with Hindu Kangras along the top of the walls...The walls were generally constructed of large blocks of hewn stone." This view shows the corner tower between the Mori and Baroda gates.