Close view of pillar and capital in porch of Buddhist Vihara, Cave XXIV, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a pillar and a capital in the porch of the Buddhist Vihara, Cave XXIV at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill around 1868-70, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were first excavated in a crecent-shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River in the 2nd and1st centuries BC and later in the 5th century. Cave 24 is a large vihara which was left unfinished when the excavations were interrupted in the late 5th Century. The verandah had elaborate pillars as shown from the two broken ones in this view. The shaft is decorated with bands of foliation and medallions containing animals. The capital is in the form of a pot with exhuberant foliage and the brackets are carved with groups of figures and flying celestial couples.