Close view of capital in porch of Buddhist Vihara, Cave XXIV, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a capital in the porch of the Buddhist Vihara, Cave XXIV at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill around 1868-70, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were first excavated in a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River in the 2nd and 1st centuries BC. Cave 24 was left unfinished when later excavations were interrupted at the end of the 5th century. This view shows the carved capital from a pillar of the verandah. The jambs of the shrine door, which can be seen in the background, are richly carved with figures of couples.