Close view of pillars in the Great (Mahadeva) Temple, Patan (Patna), Khandesh District
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the pillars in the Great Mahadeva Temple at Patna, Khandesh District, taken by Henry Cousens around 1880, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Henry Cousens writes in "Revised List of Antiquarian remains in the Bombay Presidency", vol.VIII, 1987: "The temple of Mahadeva, the largest and most important, is built on the usual plan of shrine, mandapa, and porch, and faces east. Its sikhara, or tower, has gone. The exterior of the temple is profusely sculptured, and the pillars and doorway of the shrine have also been well chiselled. In the shrine, in the middle of the floor, is the linga, while in the middle of the back wall is a niche to hold a figure, with an ornamental frame around it. There are several figures lying about which may originally have been placed in the various niches, among which are Siva, Parvati, Laksmi-Narayana, Surya etc. The most important thing, however, in the temple is a very fine and well preserved inscription slab". This has a Sanskrit incription with with the date 1153-4.