Capital of right hand pillar of Buddhist Chaitya Hall, Bedsa Caves, Pune District
Photographer: Sykes, D.H.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the capital of the right hand pillar of the Buddhist Chaitya Hall at Bedsa Caves, Pune District, taken by D.H. Sykes in 1869, from the Archaeological Survey of India. The Buddhist caves at Bedsa were excavated during the Satavahana period in the1st century. The pillar in this view is situated in the verandah of Cave 7. There are four large octagonal columns with pot-like bases and bell-like capitals. On top of the pillars are carved pairs of animals ridden by couples supporting the roof lintel. Above the doorway there is a large arched opening imitating timber architecture. The walls are decorated with arched windows and railings.