Chittore fort view
Photographer: Deen Dayal, Lala (1844-1905)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the ruined fort of Chittorgarh in Rajasthan, taken by Rajah Deen Dayal & Sons in the 1880s, from the Curzon Collection: 'Views of places proposed to be visited by Their Excellencies Lord & Lady Curzon during Autumn Tour 1902'. Lord Curzon served as Viceroy of India between 1899 and 1905. Chittorgarh fort sits on the summit of a rocky plateau almost 5 km (3 miles) long which rises abruptly from the surrounding plains. This is a bird’s eye view of the palaces and temples within its walls taken from the Jaya Stambh or Tower of Victory. The nine-storey tower was built in 1448 by Rana Kumbha (r.1433-68) to commemorate his victory over Mahmud Shah Khalji, the Sultan of Malwa, in 1440. From the 8th century until the middle of the 16th century the fort was the stronghold of the Guhilot (later Sisodia) Rajputs, a dynasty renowned for its resistance to Mughal rule. After the fort was sacked for the final time in 1567, by the Mughal Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605), Udaipur was chosen as a new state capital and Chittorgarh was abandoned by the ruling family.