Countess of Dufferin Hospital [Vadodara]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Countess of Dufferin Hospital, at Baroda, Gujarat from the Curzon Collection, taken by an unknown photographer during the 1890s. The hospital was built in 1886, replacing the old State Hospital from the Lady Dufferin Fund. It was opened to commemorate the visit of the Viceroy, the Earl of Dufferin to Baroda, and was named after his wife. It was designed by Major Charles Mant (1840-81) in an Indo-Saracenic style. He was a pioneer of this style and used it in his designs for other civic and state buildings in Baroda such as the State Library and most notably the Lakshmi Vilas Palace.