Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of camels at Baroda, Gujarat from the Curzon Collection, taken by an unknown photographer during the 1890s. The use of camels for transport was widespread until the opening of the railways, when their numbers were reduced. They were particularly used by rabaris (professional herdsmen) in the northern part of the Baroda district where the soil is sandy. This group of four camels with their liveried riders belonged to the Gaekwar Sayaji Rao III (ruled 1875-1939).