This photograph of the Chamundi Hill temple, taken in the 1890s by an unknown photographer, is from the Curzon Collection's 'Souvenir of Mysore Album'. The Chamundi hill is a rocky hill about two miles south-east of the Fort of Mysore and takes its name from the Goddess Kali or Chamundi, the consort of Siva worshipped on the summit. A flight of stone steps leads to the top of the hill, and two-thirds of the way up, cut out of the solid rock, is a colossal figure of Nandi, the sacred Bull. The caption notes of the photographer read: ''...16 feet in height. It has been cut out of the solid rock, and, though the carving does not entitle it to be considered a work of art, yet, the gigantic size, the correct proportions, and the labour expended on it command admiration. The work was executed by the orders of Dodda Deva Raja, A.D. 1670, and is a monument of his devout zeal.''