Photograph taken about 1900 by the Government photographer, Zacharias D'Cruz of a distant view of the Central Jail in Trivandrum. It is one of 76 prints in an album entitled 'Album of South Indian Views' part of the Curzon Collection. George Nathaniel Curzon was Under Secretary of State at the Foreign Office between 1895-98 and Viceroy of India between 1898-1905. The Central Jail at Trivandrum was situated at the north-western angle of the Fort. This building before the occupation of the jail served as the barracks for the Nayar Brigade, in which prisoners serving short-terms were confined. The prisoners were locked up at night and guarded by Jail warders and brigade sepoys. A large number of them were employed in the making and repairing of roads both at Trivandrum and at Quilon, while others were told off in small parties from day to day for garden work in the Palaces, Hospitals, Sirkar buildings and Public Gardens. To the Jail there was attached a hospital located in a separate building where the prisoner taken ill was removed.