Column in the Kalyana Mandapa of the Vitthala Temple, Vijayanagara
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a column in the Kalyana Mandapa of the Vitthala Temple, at Vijayanagara, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, c.1880. The Vitthala Temple is one of the greatest monuments of the Vijayanagara period and dates from the 16th Century. The complex has a number of structures inside a rectangular court. The Kalyana Mandapa, an open pavilion, was used for ceremonies involving the symbolic marriage of the temple's divinity to his consort. Its interior, surrounded by impressive columns, contains a platform in the centre for the performance of sacred dances. Massive pillars, decorated with soldiers riding yalis, carry the large brackets and roof beams. The column in this view is made of slender colonnettes resting on seated lions. It stands on a moulded basement adorned with friezes of men and elephants.