Close view of head of monolithic statue of Narasimha, Vijayanagara
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the monolithic statue of Narasimha at Vijayanagara, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections taken by an unknown photographer around 1880. This huge rock-cut sculpture, around 6.7 metres high, represents the lion-man incarnation of Vishnu, seated beneath a multi-headed serpent. It dates from 1528 and was donated by Krishnadeva Raya (r.1509-29). Vijayanagar was founded on the bank of the Tungabhadra River in the 14th century and was the most powerful Hindu kingdom in Southern India until the defeat by the Muslim armies in 1565.