Close view of sculptured façade of the Hazara Ramachandra Temple, Vijayanagara
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the sculptured façade of the Hazara Ramachandra Temple, at Vijayanagara, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, c.1880. The Ramachandra Temple, known as Hazara Rama, is situated in the royal centre and dates from the 15th century. It is dedicated to the cult of Rama and was probably used as the state chapel by the Vijayanagara rulers. The main temple, set in the centre of a rectangular compound, is richly carved with reliefs depicting royal scenes and scenes from the Ramayana epic. This view shows some of the wall panels of the shrine. The figures seen on the left of the photograph represent Krishna dancing; in the lower panel the god is dancing on the hood of the cobra Kaliya. The central panel is carved with a motif of kumbhapanjara, the pot and overflowing foliage set in between two pilasters. Left of it is an unusual figure of Buddha seated in padmasana. On his forehead is the namam, a Vaishnava emblem. To the right of the kumbhapanjara are two monkeys in a tree. The other figure on the right in this view is a female chauri-bearer.