Column from the Pattabhirama Temple, near Kamalapuram, Vijayanagara
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a column from the Pattabhirama Temple, near Kamalapuram, Vijayanagara, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, c.1880. This 16th century complex, dedicated to Rama, is situated on the outskirts of Vijayanagara. It is enclosed by a high rectangular wall entered through pyramidal gateways with diminishing storeys. It consists of a shrine with a vestibule and two pillared halls, all set within a very large rectangular court. The pillars of the mandapas are carved with Vaishnava reliefs and figures of dancers, drummers, yalis, Hanuman and Garuda.