Close view of porch on north end of Ahmad Shah's Mosque, Ahmadabad
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the porch on the north end of Ahmad Shah's Mosque at Ahmadabad in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India. Ahmad Shah (r.1411-42) founded the capital city Ahmadabad in 1411. His mosque in the citadel was begun soon after the foundation of the city was laid; an inscription in Arabic over the central mihrab records that the mosque was built by Ahmad Shah in 1414. The plan is based on the Jami Masjid in Cambay, built in 1325. The roof is covered with ten large domes and other smaller ones between. There were once two turrets on either side of the central archway. The Royal Chapel, Muluk Khana, or the Zanana, "Princesses' Gallery" is on the north-west corner, and is entered through a door in the north end of the mosque, protected by a closed porch. The porch is surrounded by carvings on its west side and the gallery itself is surrounded by perforated screen work with a variety of designs.