Close view of base of south minaret of the Malik Sarang Mosque or Queen's Mosque, Sarangpur, Ahmadabad 1741
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the base of the south minaret of the Malik Sarang Mosque or Queen's Mosque, Sarangpur, Ahmadabad in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India. Situated by the Sarangpur Gate, this mosque was built in c.1530 by Malik Quivam ul Mulk Sarang, a nobleman at the court of Sultan Muzaffar Shah (r.1511-26), who became governor of the city in 1521. The mosque has five large domes above a series of arched entrances along the facade. The larger central arch is flanked by two robust minarets that resemble those of the Bibi-ki-Masjid of 1454, also in Ahmadabad. Both minarets are now truncated at roof level, this view is a close up of the remaining base of the south minaret showing its rich carving.