Close view of second window from north corner of the Malik Sarang Mosque or Queen's Mosque, Sarangpur, Ahmadabad
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a perforated windows in the Malik Sarang Mosque or Queen's Mosque at Sarangpur, Ahmadabad in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India. Situated by the Sarangpur Gate, this mosque was built in c.1530 by Malik Quivam ul Mulk Sarang, a nobleman at the court of Sultan Muzaffar Shah (r.1511-26), who became governor of the city in 1521. The mosque has five large domes above a series of arched entrances along the facade. The larger central arch is flanked by two robust minarets, now truncated at roof level. The bases of the minarets are covered in elaborately carved niches and a series of horizontal bands. This view shows the second window from the north corner with its symmetrically arranged patterns.