Central portion of the façade of the Bibiji Mosque at Rajapur Hirpur, Ahmadabad
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the facade of the Bibi-ki Mosque, at Rajpur, Ahmadabad in Gujarat taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India. This mosque, one of four in Rajpur, was built in 1454. It it is vast structure with five large domes. There are five mihrabs with carved decoration of rosettes and chain and censor details. At the north end of the mosque is a royal gallery enclosed by perforated screens. This view shows the unusual triple arched entrance on the facade, with the central entrance flanked by heavily constructed minarets.