Close view of part of the tomb in front of Malik Sarang's Mosque (Queen's Mosque), known as Rani Bibi's Rauza, Sarangpur, Ahmadabad 1813
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of part of the tomb in front of Malik Sarang's Mosque (Queen's Mosque), known as Rani Bibi's Rauza at Sarangpur, Ahmadabad in Gujarat, taken by an Army sergeant in c. 1881, by order of Major Cole, from the Archaeological Survey of India. This mosque was built by Malik Quivam ul Mulk Sarang, a noble at the court of Mahmud Begarha (r.1458-1511), who become governor of the city in 1521. The inner sanctum has a square of twenty pillars rising through the roof on short upper pillars that enclose a gallery surrounding the central dome. There are four smaller domes at the corners. James Burgess wrote in the Archaeological Survey of India, Vol VIII(1905), "It must have been a splendid mausoleum when entire - one of the finest in the city... The mosque has long been entirely disused; the open space between the masjid and the rauza is utilised for drying cow-dung cakes for fuel, spinning silk, preparing rice, and the interior of the rauza is full of rubbish".