Central portion of the façade of the Rani Masjid or Queen's Mosque, Mirzapur, Ahamadabad, from the south-east
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph taken from outside the courtyard, taken by order of Major Cole, by an Army sergeant in c. 1881, from the Archaeological Survey of India. This mosque was probably built during the reign of Sultan Muzaffar Shah (r.1511-26). The roof has three domes in line with the entrances; the central dome is raised a storey higher. The entrance arch of the facade is flanked by the truncated remains of lofty minarets which collapsed in the earthquake of 1819. The remaining bases are decorated with tracery patterns. This view shows the balcony windows supported by elaborately carved brackets under the sills which are covered in sculpted foliage.