Central portion of the façade of Muhammad Ghaus Gwaliari's Mosque, Ahmadabad
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Mosque of Muhammad Ghaus Gwaliari, at Ahmadabad in Gujarat taken by order of Major Cole, by an Army sergeant in c.1881, from the Archaeological Survey of India. This mosque was built in c.1565 by the saint Shaikh Muhammad Ghauthu'l Alam of Gwalior. The interior is divided into squares by two rows of pillars connected by arches with carved pendentives, which support the almost flat domes. The minaret at the north end of the facade is octagonal above the roof level. The octagonal section is divided by five small balconies alternating with recesses. This view shows the central section of the facade. Shortly before this photograph was taken the propylon, or monumental gateway, was taken down.