Close view of Jami Masjid entrance and outer wall of court from the south-east, Champaner
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a porch at the Jami Masjid at Champaner, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India. This mosque, built in 1523 by Sultan Mahmud Begarha (r.1458-1511), is one of the most important architectural achievements of the period. The plan is based on the Jami Masjid in Ahmadabad built some 75 years earlier. The central section of the mosque sanctuary is raised to three storeys. The eastern facade comprises five pointed archways; the taller central arched entrance is flanked by two minarets. The base of the minarets, up to the vertex of the central doorway are elaborately carved, above this are cornices at intervals. There are two projecting windows, or oriel windows, on either side of the minarets. This is a view of the east entrance porch on the outer wall of the mosque courtyard; the main entrance and the most elaborate of the three porches. The dome is now ruined but the surrounding chhatris or small pavilions, and the carved cornices of the arched openings, can still be seen.