Close view of main entrance to Alif khan's Mosque, Dholka
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the main entrance to the Alif khan's Mosque at Dholka, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Alif Khan mosque, also referred to as Alkif Khan Bhukai or Khan-ki masjid, is a massive brick building, dating from the period of Sultan Mahmud Begarha (r.1458-1511) and constructed by Alif Khan Bhukai, a childhood friend of Mahmud Begarha. The original structure consisted of two square solid minarets, one on each end of the façade. The mosque’s interior consists of three square halls, each enclosed with a massive dome. The interior measures 150 by 42 feet. The central mihrab, or prayer niche, is flanked by two windows decorated with perforated stone tracery.