Close view of sculptures of Trimurti, Vishnu and other figures on the Lakshmi-Narayana Shrine in the Limboji Mata Temple, Dilmal, Gujarat
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the sculptures of the Trimurti, Vishnu and other figures on the Lakshmi-Narayana Shrine in the Limboji Mata Temple at Dilmal, Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections.
The main temple of Limboji Mata at Dilmal dates from the 11th century, built by the Solanki dynasty, though additions were made in the 17th and 18th centuries. Limboji Mata’s plan consists of a central mandapa or columned hallway, a sanctum, and a porch. There are minor shrines in the courtyard surrounding main temple date that from the 12th century. The shrine in this photograph is dedicated to Lakshmi-Narayana, whose statue inside is dated Sam. 1532. In the 'Revised Lists of Antiquarian Remains in the Bombay Presidency' of 1897, Burgess and Cousens write, 'A very curious sculpture occurs on the west face of the little shrine in the south-east corner of the courtyard of the temple. In one figure the four deities, Siva, Brahma, and Surya, are blended. The image has eight arms, three faces, and is seated upon Garuda. The three faces (the fourth not appearing, of course, in a bas-relief) with the two lower arms - in the hand of one being the water-pot and the other lying extended, palm outward - belong to Brahma; his vehicle, the goose, being repesented below. Siva is represented by the trident and serpent in the upper pair of hands, while the full-blown lotus in each of the next lower hands, the Hessian boots, and the horse below, denote Surya. Garuda, upon which the image is rides, is Vishnu's vehicle, and the pair of hands now broken off no doubt held his symbols, the conch and chakra or discus.'