Close view of columns in the Gudha Mandapa, Surya Temple, Modhera 1904
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of columns in the gudha mandapa of the Surya Temple at Modhera, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This temple is one of the finest achievements of the Solanki period in Gujarat. It was built in 1027 and although in ruinous condition it still reflects its former splendour. The temple consists of the sanctuary, two mandapas or columned hallways, a gateway, and a tank, all aligned to the east. The closed hall, or gudha mandapa, adjoins the sanctuary and the open pillared portico, or sabha mandapa, stands between the closed mandapa and the tank, all are built on a stepped plan. The lower portion of the main shrine and adjoining closed hall is elaborately carved with friezes of elephants, horses and the upper wall portions have panels with many images of the divinities. This is a view of some of the tall columns in the closed hall. The columns, arranged in an octagon to support the roof which once carried a dome, are richly carved with miniature figures of divinities and amorous couples, scrollwork and jewelled motifs. Figures of ghanas project from the brackets and the architraves are also covered with sculptures.