Carved wooden ceiling dome in the Parsvanatha Temple, Patan
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the carved wooden ceiling dome in the Parsvanatha Temple at Patan in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The city of Patan was formerly called Anhilvada or Anhilpur and was established in 765 by Vanaraja, the first king of the Chavada dynasty. The Jain temple of Vadipura-Parsvanatha was built in 1594. This temple consists of a mandapa, or a columned hallway with several courtyards with shrines. The roof of the central dome is decorated by concentric circles of figures and bands of ornament with a lotus-shaped pendant hanging from the apex. There are eight bracket figures places around the inside of the dome, either musicians or dancers; between these figures are seated male figures with attendants. Below the dome are four balcony windows covered in delicate carved designs of figures and geometric patterns.