Carved pillars of façade of mandapa of the Kailasanathaswami Temple, Taramangalam
Photographer: Madras School of Industrial Arts
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the mandapa of the Kailasanatha Temple at Taramangalam, in Tamil Nadu, taken by the Madras School of Industrial Arts around 1868, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This temple bears inscriptions from the Hoysala, Pandya and Vijayanagar periods. Part of the temple existed as early as 1260 but the majority was built in the first half of the 17th century. The temple consists of many enclosures or prakarams, entered through a five tiered pyramidal gopura, or gateway, covered with stucco figures of the various divinities. This is a view of the outer pillars of the mandapa or hall carved in high relief with rearing horses and riders. The overhanging eave is enlivened with sculpted figures of monkeys.