Corner portion of mandapa of Venkataramana Temple, Tadpatri
Photographer: Madras School of Industrial Arts
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a portion of the mandapa of the Venkataramana Temple at Tadpatri, taken by the Madras School of Industrial Arts around 1868, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This complex was built during the Vijayanagara period in the mid-16th century. It is entered through a tall gopura, or tower, in the middle of the east side of a rectangular colonnade. The main shrine, dedicated to Vishnu, is preceded by a closed mandapa with two porches. To the east is an open mandapa with columns carved as rearing animals with riders and female devotees carved in the round. This view shows a part of this mandapa covered by a double curved-eave.