Close view of sculptural details of unfinished rear gopura of the Ramalingeshvara Temple, Tadpatri
Photographer: Madras School of Industrial Arts
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the rear gopura at the Ramalingeshvara Temple at Tadpatri, Anantapur District, taken by Madras School of Industrial Arts around 1868, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Ramalingeshvara temple is situated on the right bank of the River Penner. It was built in the early 16th century during the Vijayanagara period. The temple is surrounded by an enclosure wall entered through large gateways or gopuras on the south, west and north. Although unfinished these gopuras are covered with elaborate carvings consisting of architectural elements, such as niches covered by miniature temple towers and pilasters standing in pots. There are also sculptures representing figures of divinities, donors, maidens and rearing animals with riders as well as friezes, scrollwork, miniature animals and birds. This is a detailed view of one of the unfinished gopuras.