Close view of sculptural details at base of front gopura of the Venkataramana Temple, Tadpatri
Photographer: Madras School of Industrial Arts
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the sculpture on the front gopura of the Venkataramana Temple at Tadpatri, taken by Madras School of Industrial Arts around 1868, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This temple complex was built during the Vijayanagara period in the mid-16th century. It is entered through a tall pyramidal tower or gopura in the middle of the east side of a rectangular colonnade. There are some sculptures on the basement and the walls of this ruined tower. This view shows a detail of sculptures on the left of the gateway at the base of the gopura. The main shrine, dedicated to Vishnu, is preceded by a closed mandapa with two porches. The outer walls are decorated with sculptures representing episodes from Krishna and Ramayana legends, set between pilasters.