Cloister and mandapas in the Kailasanatha Temple, Taramangalam
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Kailasanatha Temple at Taramangalam in Tamil Nadu, taken by an unknown photographer in c.1870, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This temple, dedicated to Shiva, bears inscriptions from the Hoysala, Pandya and Vijayanagar periods. Part of the temple existed as early as 1260 but the majority was built in the first half of the 17th century. The temple consists of many enclosures or prakarams, entered through a five tiered pyramidal gopura, or gateway, covered with stucco figures of the various divinities. The outer pillars of the mandapa or hall are carved in high relief with rearing horses and riders, rearing yalis, mythical animals with riders. The overhanging eave is enlivened with sculpted figures of monkeys. This is a view of the mandapa or hall with the surrounding colonnade and a small free-standing shrine in the foreground.