Carved pillars of façade of mandapa of the Kailasanatha Temple, Taramangalam
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the mandapa of the Kailasanatha Temple at Taramangalam in Tamil Nadu, taken by an unknown photographer in c.1870, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This temple bears inscriptions from the Hoysala, Pandya and Vijayanagar periods. Part of the temple existed as early as 1260 but the majority was built in the first half of the 17th century. The temple consists of many enclosures or prakarams, entered through a five tiered pyramidal gopura, or gateway, covered with stucco figures of the various divinities. This is a view of the outer pillars of the mandapa or hall carved in high relief with rearing horses and riders or rearing yalis, mythical animals, with riders. The overhanging eave is enlivened with sculpted figures of monkeys.