Close view of carved pillars of the mandapa of the Kailasanatha Temple, Tiruchengodu
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the carved pillars of the mandapa of the Kailasanatha Temple at Tiruchengodu in Tamil Nadu, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1870s. The town of Tiruchengodu is situated at the foot of Nagagiri ('Serpent Hill'). The Kailasanatha Temple was begun in the Chola period but most of its architecture belongs to the Vijayanagar period. The entrance gopura, or gateway, was built in 1664. The pillars along the facade of the mandapa are carved in the form of rearing yalis or lion-like beasts.