Cenotaph of one of Scindia's family on the River Sipra at Ujjain.
Photographer: Herne, George Edward
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph was taken by George Edward Herne for the Archaeological Survey of India in 1869. The view looks across the river Sipra at Ujjain towards a cenotaph of a member of the Scindia family, from which steps, flanked by pavilions, lead down to the ghat at the water's edge. The cenotaph itself is the largest of the domed kiosks or 'chhattris' of the complex and comprises a fluted dome resting on a 'trabeate' or post-and-lintel polygonal base. The Scindia dynasty ruled an area surrounding Gwalior, holding command of the great fort there. Daulat Rao Scindia, Maharaja of Gwalior founded the New City or Lashkar in 1810 to the south of the hill fortress. Originally it was a military camp or lashkar but by 1829 a town had developed on the same site.