Cenotaph of Daulat Rao Scindia, Lashkar, Gwalior
Photographer: Herne, George Edward
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the cenotaph of Daulat Rao Scindia in Lashkar, Gwalior from the 'Archaeological Survey of India Collections (India Office Series)' collection, taken by George Edward Herne in c. 1869. The cenotaph of this celebrated ruler is suitably opulent in form. Built in the style of a Hindu temple, it comprises a 'mandapa' or hall topped by three curved-roofed pavilions, with inner sanctum beyond beneath the high 'shikhara' or tower. Lashkar, the New City of Gwalior situated south of the fort, was established by Daulat Rao Scindia in 1810 as a military camp or 'lashkar'. It became an established town by 1829 with the move of the capital from Ujjain and centre of the Scindia rule over the state of Gwalior. The group of Scindia family cenotaphs, of which this is one, is located in the Chattri Bazaar.