Cenotaph of Appa Sahib, Lashkar, Gwalior
Photographer: Herne, George Edward
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a cenotaph in Lashkar, Gwalior from the 'Archaeological Survey of India Collections (India Office Series)' collection, taken by George Edward Herne in c. 1869. There are a number of cenotaphs in the area commemorating the Scindia dynasty. This monuement to Appa Sahib is built in the style of a Hindu temple. It comprises a 'mandapa' or hall topped by a pyramidal kiosk with an inner sanctum beneath the high 'shikhara' or tower beyond. Lashkar is situated about two miles from Gwalior and was founded in 1810 by Daulat Rao Sindhia who set up his lashkar (camp) there, thus giving the town its name. The Imperial Gazeteer of India states, 'The city is picturesquely situated in a horseshoe-shaped valley opening eastwards. Just below the fort are the palaces, standing in a walled enclosure, known as the Phul Bagh, or flower garden. The modern residence of the chief, the Jai Bilas palace, and the older Moti Mahal, now used for departmental offices, a museum and other buildings, are all situated within this enclosure...The city proper lies beyond the palaces. It is bisected by the main road, leading from the Gwalior railway station, and is divided into numerous quarters.'