Cenotaph of Scindia's Mother, Lashkar, Gwalior.
Photographer: Herne, George Edward
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a royal Scindia cenotaph in Lashkar, Gwalior from the 'Archaeological Survey of India Collections (India Office Series)' collection, taken by George Edward Herne in c. 1869. This cenotaph is described as that of Scindia's mother. It has multiple 'shikharas' or towers or varying size and is further ornamented by architectural features including pavilions with curved roofs and engaged minature columns. The Scindia dynasty ruled an area surrounding Gwalior, holding command of the great fort there. Daulat Rao Scindia, Maharaja of Gwalior founded the New City or Lashkar in 1810 to the south of the hill fortress. Originally it was a military camp or lashkar but by 1829 a town had developed on the same site.