Darbar Room in Bharatpur Fort
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the durbar hall in the Lohagarh or Iron Fort at Bharatpur, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The fort stands at the north-west corner of Bharatpur, a walled city, and was built in 1733 by the Sinsini
Jat king Suraj Mal (r.1733-63) when the city became the state capital. The durbar hall is one of several royal buildings erected by the Jats within the fort during the 18th and 19th centuries. This is a view looking across the formal garden towards the hall, described in another print as the kacheri or judicial court. Its façade has a deep cornice, a projecting balcony with a curved bangaldar roof above a columned entrance of five arches, and a baradari or pavilion on its roof that can just be seen. It faces a formal garden divided into parterres by water channels with an octagonal pool in the centre, in the Persian-Mughal tradition of the char bagh. Both the style of the building and the garden setting are characteristic of Jat architecture, particularly the 18th-century palace at Dig.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.