Darbar Room with Kothi Khas, Bharatpur
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Durbar Hall and Kamra Palace in the Lohagarh or Iron Fort at Bharatpur, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The fort is a citadel in the walled city of Bharatpur and was built in 1733 by the Sinsini Jat king Suraj Mal (r.1733-63) when he captured Bharatpur and made it his state capital. This distant view shows the Durbar Hall at right, set back on the far side of a formal garden, with part of the Kamra Palace at the left. The durbar hall is one of several royal buildings erected by the Jats within the fort during the 18th and 19th centuries. The façade has deep cornices, a projecting balcony with a curved bangaldar roof and and a central arched entrance. The Kamra Palace is one of three palaces erected within the fort by the Jats between 1730 and 1850, and now houses the government museum. This view shows a colonnade facing one side of the garden and a roof-top pavilion from which panoramic views of the surrounding countryside could be seen. Both buildings are characteristic of Jat architecture, particularly the 18th-century palaces at Dig.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.