Delhi Gate of the Red Fort, Delhi.
Photographer: Tytler, Robert and Harriet
Medium: Photographic print
Part of a portfolio of photographs taken in 1858 by Major Robert Christopher Tytler and his wife, Harriet, in the aftermath of the Uprising of 1857. The Red Fort was built by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan (r.1628-1658) at his new capital Shahjahanabad at Delhi. It was the seat of Mughal power until the Uprising of 1857 when Bahadur Shah the last Mughal Emperor was dethroned. The principal gates of the Red Fort, or Lal Qila are the Lahore, Delhi and Water Gate. Originally wooden drawbridges spanned the moat, but these were replaced by stone bridges in 1811. The walls of the fort are constructed from red sandstone with a series of bastions, kiosks and turrets.
At the start of the Uprising of 1857 the Fort was a focal point for the insurgents as it was the Palace of the Mughal Emperor, the symbolic head of the Uprising. After the British retook Delhi they made it their headquarters damaging many of its gardens and pavilions.