Dil Koosha, Lucknow, where Sir Colin Campbell lived.
Photographer: Tytler, Robert and Harriet
Medium: Photographic print
Part of a portfolio of photographs taken in 1858 by Major Robert Christopher Tytler and his wife, Harriet, at Delhi, Lucknow and Cawnpore in the aftermath of the Uprising of 1857. Dilkusha was built by Nawab Saadat Ali Khan (r.1798-1814) as a hunting lodge. During the Uprising of 1857 Indian sepoys sieged the Residency complex at Lucknow where 3000 British residents and loyal Indians were trapped for five months before the arrival of troops. Diluksha, was used by Sir Colin Campbell, the British Commander-in-Chief, as a headquarters when reliving the Residency, the siege was finally ended by his troops on 17th November 1857. Sir Colin Campbell used the Diluksha again in March 1858 when making the final assault upon Lucknow.