Darjeeling Hill Road. Repairs at 3 mile above Kursiong.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the album of views depicting the Construction of the Darjeeling Hill Road taken by an unknown photographer in 1865. The road connecting Darjeeling with Siliguri on the plains was initiated in 1861 largely as a result of the sudden expansion of tea plantations in the mountains. Constructed and maintained by the Public Works Department, it was 48 miles long, 25 feet wide and cost around £6,000 per mile to build. By 1865 the upper section of the road from Darjeeling to Kurseong, a length of 19 1/2 miles containing 300 bridges was completed and open to traffic. Kurseong was halfway between Darjeeling and Siliguri, the lower section from Kurseong to the plains was not completed till 1869 due to many unforseen dificulties.