Distant view of the temple on Parbati Hill, Poona [Pune].
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a distant view of the temple on Parbati Hill in Pune from the 'Lee-Warner Collection: 'Bombay Presidency. William Lee Warner C.S.' taken by an unknown photographer in the 1870s. Pune is situated at the confluence of the Mutha and Mula rivers south-east of Bombay in Maharashtra. In the 18th century, it was the capital of Raja Shivaji, the Maratha king who defied the Moghul emperor Aurangzeb. In 1817, the British gained control of Pune. They based the summer headquarters of the Government of Bombay here and established a large military cantonment. Parbati Hill is located to the south of the town. In this view, we can see the temple on the top of the hill. It was built by Peshwa Balaji Rao in c.1758.