View of part of the ruined fort at Panhala from the Lee-Warner Collection: 'Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894' taken by an unknown photographer in 1894. Panhala is situated in the Sahyadri hills about 12 miles north-west of Kolhapur in Maharashtra, western India. The fort was probably founded by King Raja Bhoja between 1192 and 1209. Panhala was one of the most important hill forts in the area and over the years had been in the possession of several different rulers. The massive perimeter walls stretch were over seven kilometres with three double gateways which were reached by long flights of stone steps. Within the fort there are a number of ruins like the foundations of the Old Palace and large stone granaries. In this view we can see the ruins of the courtesan's terrace room on the east end of the fort.