Distant view of Sher Shah Suri's Tomb, with surroundings, Sasaram.
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
This view of the tomb of Sher Shah Suri and its surroundings at Sasaram was taken by J D Beglar in the 1870s for the Archaeological Survey of India. It predates the extensive restoration project of the mausoleum undertaken by Beglar in 1882-3. This city in Bihar served as the capital for the Suri dynasty between 1530 and 1540 before the move to Delhi for the remaining five years of Suri rule. The red stone tomb was designed by the architect Aliwal Khan and built between 1540 and 1545. It is octagonal in plan and is topped by an impressive dome of 22 metres in span surrounded ornamental domed kiosks. It stands at the centre of a lake on a square stone plinth with domed kiosks at each of its corners. The plinth has stone banks and stepped moorings on all sides and is connected to the mainland by a wide stone bridge.