Distant view of the Jami Masjid from the south-east, Fatehpur Sikri
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jami Masjid from the south-east, at Fatehpur Sikri, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Edmund William Smith in 1893. The palace-city complex at Fatehpur Sikri was built by the Mughal Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605); the Jami Masjid was completed in 1572. Akbar built his city close to the saint Shaikh Salim Chisti's refuge, after the saint had successfully predicted the birth of the Emperor's heir, Prince Salim, later Emperor Jahangir. The huge Buland Darwaza, or Victory Gate, can be seen in this view on the mosque's southern wall. It was probably built to commemorate Akbar's successful campaigns in the Deccan in 1573. The central portion of the gate contains a large arch with three entrances, it is reached by a steep flight of steps and crowned with a row of chhatris.