Photograph of the the hill fort at Udayapur taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1871 or 1872. Described in J.D. Beglar, Report of a tour in Bundelkhand and Malwa, 1871-72...' : "To the south of the city, at a distance of about half a mile, is a hill of a very remarkable appearance; a huge mass of rock rises sheer and abrupt from the top of the conical hill below, presenting at a distance the exact appearance of a fortified castle. This, however, is not a castle, but a natural solid mass of rock, though it is evident that it could, and probably was, made use of as a fort. At the foot, or rather some little way above the foot of the cone, however, there runs a wall built of huge uncemented stones, 18 feet thick at the present crest...A photograph of this remarkable hill has been taken, and with the aid of a magnifier, the lines of fort walls may be seen; the view was taken from the north-west gateway of the great mandir [the Udayeshvara Temple] which will presently be noticed."